Thursday, March 20, 2014

2014 Pantone Color of the Year Quilt Challenge - Just in time!

Like most quilters I know, I have a fairly long list of things I'd like to do.....Things I should do....Things I need to do. Sewing projects and otherwise.

The 2014 Pantone Color of the Year Quilt Challenge was not on any of my lists.

If you aren't familiar with Pantone, it's a company that has a standardized color matching system that is used in many industries. Each year they select a "Color of the Year".  For 2014, the Color of the Year is Radiant Orchid.

It's a nice color, but I don't sew much with purple. And I have very little of it in my stash. So, again, no plan to participate in this challenge.

Until I started chatting with my friend Jamie about what she was making for the Pantone Quilt Challenge. Her favorite color is purple, so I had no doubt she'd be participating. With a little nudge from Jamie, I decided to jump in.

Luckily, the challenge includes the category "Just the Top". Very fortunate for me since the deadline is tomorrow and I finished my quilt top about an hour ago! (Basting, quilting, and binding will happen sometime in the near future.)

Here is my entry.....

It measures approximately 37" x 37". I've tried to come up with a name for it, but haven't found quite the right one yet. It'll come to me, sooner or later.

I took my inspiration from the "Swirling Medallion Quilt" in Jacquie Gering's book Quilting Modern. After following her pattern, I thought that the light stripey fabric in the outside diamond just got lost, so I added another row of the wonky triangles. I'll be using that stripey fabric for bias binding and needed to give it a little punch, hence the Orchid border.

Linking up for the Challenge at On the Windy Side.


One English Teacher said...

This quilt is gorgeous.Your design choices of the extra border of wonky triangles and the orchid border were brilliant.

Marci Girl said...

I really like it, especially the background color with the purples! So pretty!

Kris said...

This is so fun. I am working on that exact layout after taking Jacquies class last week. I like yours way better. Lovely.

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Gorgeous! I like the Kona cactus background, it really makes the purples pop! You did an awesome job getting it into the lineup in time. The voting is already open so I cast a vote for you in your category.

Am L said...

Love your radiant orchid quilt top! I had a top planned, but March was just too busy. This is really fabulous!

Anne said...

I love that stripey fabric, so I'm glad you added the extra border to help it show up more! Loving the green with the orchid color as well, such a great combination! Beautiful design!

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

Yes - I LOVE that final border! Really great quilt, with bold colour choices and a lovely modern design full of movement.